From Ross-Tech Wiki
18104/P1696/005782 - Powertrain Data Bus: Implausible Message from Steering Column Controller
- Steering Column Control Module may have stored a Fault Code
- Steering Column Stalk/Lever faulty
- Check Steering Column Control Module for Fault Codes
- Check/Replace Steering Column Stalk/Lever
- Ask Customer if he has experienced problems (i.e. Cruise Control sporadically not working)
- When found in VW Golf (1K) (or similar):
- Check/replace Cruise Control Stalk/Lever (see TPI 2010405).
- Perform Steering Column Control Module Software Optimization (see TPI 2017317)
- When found in Audi A6 (4F), check Engine Control Module for Software Updates (see TPI 2015237).
- When found in VW Beetle (1C/1Y) with 2.5L engine:
- These cars do not have a Steering Column Controller.
- Cruise Control Switch is wired directly to ECM, check this switch in MVB 066.