From Ross-Tech Wiki
00438 - Fuel Supply Sensor 2 (G169)
00438 - Fuel Supply Sensor 2 (G169): Open or Short to Plus
- Fuel gauge reading incorrect. May be stuck on empty.
- Instrument cluster display reads Electrical fault in fuel tank (or similar) message.
- Wiring between Fuel Level 2 (G169) and Instrument Cluster faulty
- Ground issues
- In-tank connectivity issues to Fuel Level 2 (G169)
- Faulty Fuel Level 2 (G169)
- Faulty Instrument cluster
- Check all wiring including grounds to/from Instrument Cluster and Fuel Level 2 (G169)
- Check applicable Measuring Block(s) or Advanced Measuring Values
- Check resistance specifications per the factory level repair manual using a DVOM
- Check for in-tank connection issues
- Check/Replace Fuel Level 2 (G169)
- Check/Replace Instrument cluster.
- If any other functions of the Instrument Cluster are malfunctioning make sure to save a complete Auto-Scan before powering down (unplugging) the control module for at least 30 minutes to see if the problem is temporarily fixed.
- If the Instrument cluster is faulty make sure the installed system can be matched using the PIN and VCDS as per our Immobilizer page.
- When 00438 is found in conjunction with 00771 in the NAR market (4F) chassis A6 see TPI 2020884 to determine if the 4F0 298 200 B (or newer) repair kit is needed.
- When 00438 is found in conjunction with 00771, 00439 or 00251 in the NAR market (42) chassis R8 see TPI 2022203 determine if the 420 298 200 A (or newer) repair kit is needed.