From Ross-Tech Wiki
01176 - Key
01176 - Key: Signal too Low
- Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
- Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty
- Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty
- Immobilizer Transponder in Key faulty OR incorrect Transponder in Key
- Remote Control
- Remote Control Battery low
- Remote Control faulty OR incorrect Remote Control used
- Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil
- Check Key Immobilizer Transponder Status
- See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
- Check/Renew Immobilizer Key Matching
- Check/Replace Key
- Remote Control
- Check/Replace Remote Control Battery
- Check/Replace Remote Control
- If found on a New Beetle, can be caused by the Insulation Displacement Crimp (IDC) terminals that are used for the reader coil at T32a/2 and T32a/17 (green connector) that result in poor contact. This can degrade the signal from the key.
- This Fault Code can be stored in due to Remote Control or Immobilizer Problems. On most Models these systems are separate and should therefor also be diagnosed separately.
- In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experiencing an Immobilizer related Problem! On most models using conventional keys, the Engine will still start but cut out after 1-3 Seconds if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. On models using Kessy Systems and Electronic Keys, most systems in the car won't power up at all if if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Instrument Cluster powers up, and engine cranks but doesn't fire at all or engine won't crank) this is likely NOT Immobilizer related.
- When found in Audi A3 (8L), Audi A4 (8D), Audi A6 (4B) or Audi A8 (4D), check Wiring from Immobilizer Control Module to Immobilizer Reader Coil. A known issue would be the Length of the Wiring, an optimized Replacement Part may be available (8D0-972-275).
- May be stored in Combination with 17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer in Engine Control Module.
Unless otherwise noted, all content on this site is Copyright © 2000-2010 by Ross-Tech LLC. All rights reserved.
"VCDS" is a Registered Trademark of Ross-Tech, LLC.
Ross-Tech is not affiliated with the Volkswagen Group in any way.