2.5 VAG-COM communicates, but it's "flaky".
The diagnostic protocols require a degree of real-time response from the diagnostic tool. Certain other programs and services can prevent VAG-COM from responding in the timely fashion that the protocols require. Some control modules are fussier about this than others. Fixes:
Make sure you are using the latest version of VAG-COM. If you have any other programs running, close them. If you have any of the following active on your computer, turn them off:
- Virus Scanners
- Task Scheduler
- Microsoft Active-Synch
- Some Novell Netware network drivers
- Canon "Multipass" multi-function printer/scanner software
- Power Management -- some laptops are notoriously difficult, try running the laptop on AC power!
- Go through all the stuff in your System Tray:
- Right-Click on each little icon. If there's a "Disable" or "Exit" option, do it!
- Windows 2000 with SP1: Install IE 5.5 or SP2.
- Windows 95/98/Me: Pull up a task list by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL. Kill everything except Explorer and Systray.
- All versions of Windows: Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG. Take a look at what other non-essential stuff Windows is loading and disable it.
- STOP or remove PCMCIA Cards, especially anything made by Xircom. Some IBM brand cards are also problematical.
- Try turning Off your COM Port's FIFO buffers. Open the properties sheet for the COM Port in Device Manager. Select the Port Settings tab. Click the Advanced button. Uncheck the "use FIFO buffer" checkbox.
- Some Windows installations, especially ones that have had numerous program installed and uninstalled over the years may be hopeless. Try installing a clean copy of Windows in a different folder than the original.
- If you have an older, slower PC running Windows XP, try setting the Display Properties>Appearance to Windows Classic Style instead of Windows XP Style.
- If you are using a USB Interface, go to Device Manager, USB Root Hub, Properties, Power Managment, and uncheck "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power"
- If your PC has multiple Serial or USB ports, try using a different port.
- If all else fails, feel free to call or email us, making sure to provide the brand and model of vehicle, brand and model of PC, and version of VAG-COM.