From Ross-Tech Wiki
01738 - Crash Sensor for Front Airbag; Drivers Side (G283)
- Airbag Light is on
- MIL is on
- Wiring and/or connections faulty
- G283 is faulty
- Check wiring and connections for G283
- If connections are ok, change passenger side crash sensor (G284) with drivers side sensor (G283). If the fault change also, you found a faulty sensor. Replace it
- If changing G283 with G284 does not change the fault, then check wiring between G283 and Airbag Control Unit.
- If someone repaired or replaced the 2 wire connector at the crash sensor and reversed (swapped) the wiring the DTC may show: Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON. The wiring diagram for the vehicle in question will add clarity.
- When found in the NAR (North American Region) New Beetle and New Beetle Convertible models see if the R6 / 69H1 Safety Recall was completed. The TSB involves replacing both crash sensors (G284 & G283) when the old / early production sensors are instated.
- The common fault codes are 01739 and / or 01738