Xenon Basic Settings in BCM1/09-Cent. Elect. (J519) controller
This page applies to vehicles with factory installed Xenon headlights that do NOT use a diagnostic capable 55-Headlight Range control module. If the vehicle in question has a diagnostic capable 55-Headlight Range control module please use the applicable Ross-Tech Wiki Diagnostic Procedure page for that system.
- Registered VCDS users encountering difficulty determining which type of factory installed Xenon headlight system is installed can:
- Registered VCDS users encountering difficulty Retrofitting a Xenon headlight system need to join and post in the Retrofits section of our forum. Post the Auto-Scan prior to the retrofit in addition to the Auto-Scan after the replacement parts were installed when assistance is needed.
As of VCDS Release 15.7.0 it is possible to perform Basic Settings in address 09-Cent. Elect. This procedure has received limited feedback to date so Paul's New Xenon Range Adjustment Procedure - HOW TO thread may be helpful.
- Vehicle on Level ground.
- Headlights, suspension leveling components and similar fully assembled and in proper working order.
- Address 09-Cent. Elect (BCM1) fault free with the exception of 01539, 02656, 02657, 02658, and 02659.
- Headlight switch ON (not Automatic mode):
[09 - Cent. Elect.]
[Basic Settings - 04]
- The meas. block field shows [Reg. Position | Learned | 0.0 | N/A]
Activate the Basic Setting.
- The meas. block field now shows [Adjust | Headlights | not available | N/A]
- Adjust the headlights (if needed) using their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.
Deactivate the Basic Setting.
- The final meas. block field shows [Reg. Position | Learned | 0.0 | N/A] again.
The adjustment should now be learned.
[Done, Go Back]
Don't forget to check/clear fault codes afterwards.
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
The following photos are from a 2011 (4H) A8 without 55-Headlight Range control module with the following PR codes:
- 8EY LED headlights, US design
- 8K4 Separate daytime running lights NAR
- 8Q9 With fixed bending light (without headlight range adjustment)
- PX2 LED headlights
That particular vehicle had missing parts after body shop repairs. These DTCs were stored in address 09-Cent. Elect. (J519) before the missing parts were located and installed in the new headlight.
- 02897 Supply Voltage for LED Module for DRL and Parking Light; Right - Electrical Fault in Circuit
- 01497 Bulb for Blinkers; Front Right (M7) - Electrical Fault in Circuit
- 03529 Fan for Right Headlight - Electrical Fault in Circuit
- 03848 Bulb 2 for Blinker Front Right - Electrical Fault in Circuit